Encyclopedia of Jazz Musicians
Prieto, Dafnis (Dafnis Prieto Rodriguez)
A native of Santa Clara, Cuba, studied there as a youngster School of Fine Arts and later at the National School of Music in Havana, receiving a thorough classical education and ever broadening knowledge of Afrocuban music, Jazz and world music from no academic sources. Dafnis Prieto has behind him more than ten years of profesional work, going back to his first European tours with a succession of talented pianist including Carlos Maza, Ramon Valle and the "Columna B" Group.
He has been performing with some of the world greates jazz artists such as: Jane Bunnett & Spirit of Havana. Steve Coleman & Five Elements. Henry Threadgill, Zooid and Make a Move. Eddie Palmieri Afro-Caribbean Jazz Orchestra. Chico O'Farril & The Afro-Cuban Big Band. Dave Samuels & The Caribbean Jazz Project.Peter Apfelbaum & The New York Hieroglyphics.DD Jackson Trio & Octet. Ed Simon Trio.Michel Camilo Trio.Chucho Valdez Quartet.Andrew Hill, John Benitez, Jorge Sylvester, Claudia Acuna, Don Byron. Kip Hanrahan, Roy Hargroves Havana Crisol. World Economic Forum with Branford Marsalis, Herbie Hancock and Arturo Sandoval. As well as Dafnis Prieto Quintet and Absolute Quintet. He has played in several venues, touring in the United States and throughout the world.
As an educator
- Master class with Billy Higgins and Tootie Heath at Stanford University , California, 1998.
- Music and Dance workshop with Judith Sanchez at Stanford University, California.1998.
- Steve Coleman workshops at Berkley University, California 2001, as well as concerts and workshops at Tonic, NYC 2003.
- Eddie Palmieri Salsa Meets Jazz Residency at Goddard College, Vermont.
- Yamaha Drums Clinic at Berklee College of Music, Boston.
- Martes Class at the Festival International of Percussion in Puerto Rico. 2003.
- Series of conferences at New School University
"Cuban Culture" In and Out of Cuba Today "Music and Dance" with Judith Sanchez, and a Latin Jazz
Presentation with Yosvany Terry Quintet 2002.
- NYU Jazz Master Class series spring 2004.
- Master Class at ECU, 2005.
- Dafnis Prieto is a member of the NYU Jazz Faculty since Sept/2005.
- Master Class at the Blue Note, NYU series , 2005.
As a Composer
Projects - Compositions - Grants & Commissions.
Dafnis Prieto has created the music for several dance projects:
- Un Lugar (Havana 1996)
- A mouth in a sleeping shell (NYC PS 122, Winter 2000)
- Time in Circles (NYC Joyce Soho, Spring 2002)
- Forms and Sounds (NYC Jazz Gallery 2002)
- Puzzle /Rompecabezas (NYC The Kitchen, Fall 2002)
- Music selection of Sang (Danspace Project, Spring 2002)
- Descending Matter (Judson Church, Fall 2002), a work by choreographer Osmany Tellez.
- Since 1996 Dafnis has been collaborating with choreographer Judith Sanchez-Ruiz in interactive dance/music/visual media experimental works that use life improvisation as the central component.
- Music for the film Fighting Illiteracy, by Pedro Arizti and Fernando Casado, (Providing Primary
Education in Rural Honduras).
- Music for Dance Piece Citizens and Individuals? by
Judith Sanchez Ruiz.
- He composed music for the Grammy Winner Album "The Gathering" by The Caribbean Jazz Project & the Album
"Birds of a Feathers"also by the Caribbean Jazz Project.
- Commissioned by the CBC in Toronto Canada to write a piece "On and On" for the True North Brass Quintet / 2004.
- Commissioned by the East Carolina University at Greenville NC to write a piece "Echo Dimensions" for the Meridian Arts Ensemble (Brass Quintet & Percussion) 2005.
- Commissioned by the Painted Bride, Philadelphia, 2005.
- Chamber Music America New Works Award, 2005.
- Dafnis Prieto is a recipient of Meet the Composer's Van Lier Fellowship, 2005.
- Dafnis Prieto it's a Faculty Member in NYU since Sept, 2005.
- Commisioned by the Jazz at Lincoln Center a new work for the AfroLatin Jazz Orchestra. song titled " A song for Chico", 2005.
- Commissioned by the New Trumpet Consortium, 2005. a piece for trumpet and percussion "Trail of Memories".
-Commmisioned by the Ethos Percussion Group under the auspices of the Jerome Foundation, " The Guiros Talk", a pieces for percussion Quartet, 2006.
Dafnis Prieto Absolute Quintet, Zoho Music, 2006
Martirio, Primavera en Nueva York, Calle 54 Records, 2006
Caribbean Jazz Project, Mosaic, Concord picante, 2006
D.D.Jackson, Serenity Song, Justin Time Records, 2006
Brian Lynch and Sphere of Influence, EWE Records, 2006
Dafnis Prieto About the Monks, Zoho Music, 2005
Conjure, Bad Mouth, Amercian Clave,2005
Yosvany Terry, Metamorphosis, EWE Records, 2005
Arturo O'farril , Live in Brooklyn, Zoho Music. 2005
It is written, Peter Apfelbaum& the New York Hieroglyphics,ACT, 2005
Lucidarium, Steve Coleman and Five Elements, Label Bleu, 2004
Bebo de Cuba, Bebo Valdez Big Band, BMG, 2004
The Gathering, Caribbean Jazz Project, Concord Records. 2002
Paraiso, Caribbean Jazz Project, Concord Picante Records. 2001
Birds of a Feathers, Caribbean Jazz Project, Concord Picante Records. 2003
La Perfecta II, Eddie Palmieri, Concord Records. 2002
Up Popped the two lips, Henry Threadgill, Pi Recordings.2001
Everybody's mouth's a book, Henry Threadgill, Pi Recordings. 2001
Sigame, DD Jackson, Justin Time Records. 2001
Suite For New York, DD Jackson, Justin Time Records. 2003
Descarga in New York, John Benitez, Khaon. 2001
S.F. Bay, John Santos and the Machete Ensemble, Machete Records. 2002
Ritmo and Soul, Jane Bunnett, Blue Note. 2000
Levitando, Ramon Valle, PM Records.
Zapato Kiko, Carlos Maza Group, EMI France.
Birds are Returning, Marilyn Lerner, Jazz Focus Records. 1997
From Africa To Camaguey, Los Terry, Round World.
Killer Tumbao, Hilario Duran, Justin Time Records.
Enclave, Columna B, Mas i Mas Records. 1998
Dafnis Prieto endorses: Yamaha Drums, Zildjian cymbals, Evans drumheads Vic Firth sticks and LP Percussion.
675 West 187th Street apt 23
New York, N.Y. 10033
Phone/Fax: (212) 568 5369